Olive oil benefits are numerous. And since the oil is found in most kitchens across the globe, this makes it easily accessible. Even though olive oil is mostly used for cooking, it can also be used for hair and skin beauty as SUE KIM finds out.
Olive oil, which is a timeless ancient wonder, is a good source of Vitamin E and is rich in monounsaturated fats. It is gotten from the olive fruit which comes from the olive tree. Olives are a traditional crop from the Mediterranean, and some parts of the Middle East as well. Olive oil was known as ‘liquid gold’ in the ancient times.
Olive Oil – Queen of Oils
Most people use olive oil in food and salads because of its health benefits. It is also a great choice of oil for weight watchers and those who prefer to eat healthy. There are quite a number of olive oil benefits which include treating arthritis, lowering the risk of cancer, lowering cholesterol and blood sugar, helping to manage blood pressure and other cardiovascular. But the biggest and most well-known olive oil benefits are weight loss and weight management.
The ancient Egyptians made use of olive oil benefits for hair and skin. This is because it is naturally filled with anti-aging antioxidants and hydrating qualities, making it essential for at-home beauty treatments.
Different Types of Olive Oil
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
This is the best type of olive oil as well as the most expensive. It is the first oil that comes out during the extraction process. It is also made by cold pressing the olive fruit, and there are no chemical additions or water during processing. Extra virgin olive oil is most valuable because of its perfect balance in terms of aroma, flavor, color and acidity levels.
Virgin Olive Oil
Virgin olive oil is mostly used in cooking and it is not as expensive as the extra virgin olive oil. It has an acidity level of about 2 percent to 3.3 percent.
Pure Olive Oil
This is a blend of refined olive oil and virgin olive oil. And it is simply referred to as olive oil. This oil cannot be used for salad dressings due to its high acidity levels and is mostly utilized for high-heat cooking.
Olive Pomace Oil
Olive pomace oil is the lowest grade of olive-based oils. It’s a blend of virgin olive oil though the level of the virgin olive oil in it is quite low. And it is only suitable for high-heat cooking. Most olive-based oils have colors ranging from pale yellow to deep cloudy greens.
RELATED: Beauty Hacks for Busy Days
Olive Oil Benefits for the Skin
- Skin Moisturizer: Since olive oil contains Vitamin E, it has the ability to penetrate deep into the skin. This provides a long lasting shield of moisture to keep the skin smooth and supple. If you plan on utilizing one of olive oil benefits like this one, it is best applied on damp skin.
- Improves Skin Tone: Mix a few strands of saffron with olive oil then massage on your skin. You will see a significant improvement on your skin tone within a couple of days of using.
- Skin Exfoliation: When mixed with sugar and honey, olive oil can act as a great scrub by scrubbing all the dead cells away leaving fresh smooth skin underneath.
- Mix olive oil with lemon juice and honey then apply on the body to get fair and soft skin. Be sure to rinse it off after about 15 minutes.
Olive Oil Benefits for Hair
- To get shinny and soft hair, massage olive oil into your shampooed hair then rinse after 5 minutes.
- Olive oil treats dandruff and dry itchy scalp. Mix olive oil, water and lemon juice then massage into your damp scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes then rinse and shampoo.
- Control frizz with olive oil. Put a little olive oil onto your fingers then run them through your hair after you’ve styled to keep the frizz away.
- To manage your hair easily, do a hot oil treatment with olive oil.
Remember to do a patch test first before trying out on these olive oil benefits.